It got me thinking about what creates distance and what creates closeness.
Distance is more than being physically far apart, it’s:
- not feeling understood or worse, feeling deliberately misunderstood
- not being able to understand, despite standing on your head for trying
- not resonating, not relating, not clicking with someone
- feeling like your colleagues are speaking a foreign language
- feeling like you’re being denied the secret code of inclusion
- feeling more uncomfortable than an ice cube on a hot summer’s day
- thinking you got it, but realizing you didn’t
- feeling awkward and being embarrassed
Perspective will do that. It can be cannily inclusive or highly elusive. Shrinking the surface of the world and bringing us together is about a mutually understood perspective. Being able to see ‘other.’ Being able to include ‘different’.